Travel Documents

Follow us for updates

Do I need a VISA to enter Hungary?

Hungary has been a member of the Schengen Area since 2007 and EU citizens do not need a visa.
An identity document – passport or identity card – allows you to stay in Hungary for a period of 90 days.
Beyond 90 days, a longer stay in a Schengen State is allowed only to the extent that the person in question is not a burden for the state of residence (he or she must be able to show a remunerated activity or sufficient resources, and social security).

U.S. and Canadian citizens may enter Hungary for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. They need only a valid passport.


Passport or identity card?

EU citizens must bring an identity card or passport: both documents are valid. Check before your departure that these documents are still valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.
U.S. and Canadian citizens need a passportvalid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.

During your stay in Hungary, keep your identity card or passport with you as the free movement of people does not exempt you once in the territory of Hungary from proof of identity (and nationality) in case of control, including minor children.

Bringing two pieces of identification can be useful because some services may require you to leave a piece of identification as a deposit (for example, renting a bike often requires a piece of identification as a deposit for the duration of the rental).


Student card

Your student card will allow you to get reduced rates in some establishments (museums, some baths, etc.), so do not forget to take these documents to come in Hungary.

What to do in case of the loss of a document during your stay?

In case of the loss of identity documents, contact the embassy of your country.


Ronan Product